Pea soup with pancakes, it’s a traditional Swedish dish that is served on Thursday evening. Ärtsoppa och pannkakor is made with yellow peas. With the pancakes they serve cream and jam. You can also buy the pea soup ready-to-eat (there is also a vegetarian version in the supermarket).
How to make ärtsoppa?
Those who want to make the Swedish pea soup themselves will find a recipe here. Because I don’t eat meat myself, I have omitted the meat from the recipe.
- Place 5 dl of dried yellow peas for 6 to 12 hours in one and a half liters of water and a pinch of salt.
- Drain the water and put the peas in a pan with 1.3 liters of water with salt. Let it boil.
- Peel a small onion and insert 3 cloves. Add the onion to the water and the peas. Let the soup boil for one and a half hours.
- Remove the onion. Season to taste with salt, marjoram or thyme.
- Bake the pancakes: the Swedes bake their pancakes as thin as possible.
- Serve with whipped cream and jam.