Are you planning to travel to Sweden or are you in Sweden? Are you allowed to travel to Sweden while the world is still fighting the corona virus? In this article you can find all you need to know about the corona travel restrictions for traveling to and in Sweden.
Disclaimer: I try to keep this article updated but things can change quickly. I always link to the official resources so you easily can find the latest and official information.
Please note that the situation can change at any time (both ways), even when you are already in Sweden. As a traveler you have a great responsibility in stopping the spread of the virus. Stay home when you have symptoms and follow all corona rules.
Can you travel to Sweden during corona? – Travel restrictions
This depends on a lot of things. You have to check the travel restrictions of your country of residence and the restrictions/measurements from Sweden.
Are you living inside the EU?
Until October 31, it is recommended to have a corona test done after arrival in Sweden and to avoid contact as much as possible. These recommendations are not necessary for those who received their first vaccination against covid at least 3 weeks ago, who have a certificate of recovery, or for children under 6 years of age.
Until August 31, you can travel to Sweden if you:
- can present a negative COVID-19 PCR test result that is up to 72 hours old and prepared in English, French, Swedish, Danish or Norwegian.
- present a vaccination certificate from at least 2 weeks after the first vaccine.
- can present a certificate of recovery.
Travelling from outside the EU
There is a temporary entry ban for non-essential travels to the EU via Sweden, which is in place until 31 October 2021. There are some exceptions. Check the list and details on the corona travel restrictions for Sweden here.
How does corona affect life in Sweden?
Most restrictions have been lifted as of September 30, 2021.
In Sweden, the emergency number 1177 applies to those who show symptoms or are concerned that they may be infected.
The corona situation in Sweden
Swedish health organizations have set the level of risk of contamination at ‘very high’ since March 10, 2020. At the beginning of June 2021, there were more than 1 million people infected with corona, spread over all Swedish regions. These numbers are an underestimation as not everyone is tested. Those who have symptoms should avoid contact with others until they are symptom-free for at least 2 days. Until June 4, 2021, there have been 14,523 fatal corona victims in Sweden.
Corona virus in the other Scandinavian countries
General advice in the fight against corona
- Travelers can spread the virus faster. Take your responsibility and stay at home.
- Wash your hands, during at least 40 seconds and as often as possible. If you use your hand gel, make sure that it contains at least 70% alcohol.
- Don’t touch your face (eyes, mouth, nose, …).
- Cover your mouth and nose when coughing or sneezing and wash your hands carefully afterwards.
- Avoid contact with other persons as much as possible to limit further spread.
Bring Sweden to your home
Disclaimer: always check the latest advice at official sources. I do my best to keep this page as up to date as possible. If you have any additions, please send me an email!
Original post: March 14, 2020 – Last update: September 30, 2021.